Keeping busy

I’ve been very busy since George died but it hasnt really helped to get over him.  I’m a bit depressed but I suppose that’s natural.

Hugo, my lovely cheeky chocolate and white boar has been diagnosed with bladder stones and has had a series of treatments for them, some of which involved long journeys and unexpected in-patient treatment followed by long journeys to collect him again.  He has recovered a lot of his cheekiness and activeness, but is still squeaking when weeing, so is still having problems with the stones, poor mite.  I’m thinking of surgery as the next step for him, which is a bit worrying.

I went away to a conference for a week and would like to thank Vikki for looking after the piggies (including Hugo’s medications) while I was away.  They seemed to enjoy her company, although they were a bit worried when she came round today and kept watching me closely to make sure I wasnt disappearing afterwards!  The conference was great, enjoyable as always, good to meet my old friends and colleagues and to catch up with progress in my world.  Invigorating.

I’ve been doing my breeding bird surveys and the last of my Bird Atlas surveys, during which I saw my first spotted flycatcher of the season – just sitting on a telephone wire looking at the world and letting me take a good look at him.  I also went to look at the nightjars on Marsham Heath the other night.  I’m wondering whether I can fit in a night visit to Winterton (which is also rumoured to have nightjars) as well as the other survey I have to do there, but it’s quite a long way with the current price of petrol being what it is.

The garden is trying its best in the dry conditions. I planted out the chard seedlings and the pak choi seedlings last weekend and found them all eaten the next day – the culprit being a rabbit that is getting in under the fence.  I have fenced off all the veg patches now, and will sow more chard as well as fennel, carrot, and kohl rabi (the first batch were very successful) this weekend.  The broad beans are getting close to the end of their productivity – as last year, early pods were fine but later ones are increasingly empty, no doubt due to the drought.  I’ll pull those up and plant out the broccoli and black kale that is waiting on the patio, probably the weekend after this one.  With things going to seed, being eaten or just not growing, the garden isnt helping my depression at all.

But my Farm Shop had a surfeit of lemons this week so I turned some into lemon curd and some into lemonade.  And another into asparagus, pea and lemon risotto as we’re nearing the end of the asparagus season and I have a few peas now swelling in the garden.  The lemon curd was extremely easy to make, and tastes divine.  I’m afraid one of the pots didnt make it as far as the store cupboard.  But then it should be eaten within a month or so, so why not start on the same day?

And then the hot water pump on my boiler stopped working so I had to have cold showers :O.  That meant the bucket wasnt getting filled up with the run through to hot water, which reduces my ‘twice-used’ water saving strategy.  Fortunately the pressure is off that for the time being and hopefully the engineer will sove the problem tomorrow, having come today for a first assessment.

But at least it’s raining at last!


One thought on “Keeping busy

  1. I’m pleased to say that Hugo seems to have responded to the pills and the extra drinks treatment (and no cabbage family to eat). He’s only putting on weight very marginally, despite being fed babycorn, which ought to be fattening, but he has stopped squeaking when pooing or peeing and seems to be back to his old mischievous self. Which cheers me up no end!
    The heating engineer found it was a problem with the oil feed, and fixed that (at a price!), and all the lemon curd has now been eaten. But some raspberry jam has been made.
    The rabbit still gets in from time to time and isnt causing too much havoc now with my fencing regime, but he attacked the bases of the runner beans so they now sport little collars of milk bottles! I think a humane trap is needed though, as we do not want him to invite his friends…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s